Balkan Heritage Foundation (BHF), Bulgaria is a non-profit cultural organization operating in the area of cultural heritage research, preservation, communication, management and education. It was established in 2008 by three archaeologists: Ivan Vasilev, Angela Pencheva and Nayden Prahov.
In addition to Bulgaria, the Foundation is currently active in Greece, Montenegro and North Macedonia. BHF’s supporters include J.M.Kaplan Fund; Institute for Field Research (USA); European Commission; Bulgarian Ministry of Culture; major donors and over 2,000 individuals from across the globe.
multi-annual heritage projects
Mission & Vision
Through programming and communication, the Balkan Heritage Foundation supports the study, preservation, protection, management and utilization of cultural heritage in SE Europe and adjacent regions. The vision over the next 10 years is to build greater global appreciation and solidarity for the cultural treasures in our region, to attract new resources for their study and preservation and to pursue global collaborations in benefit of the cultural heritage of SE Europe.
In all of BHF’s work we seek to apply the following core values and standards:
- Building understanding and appreciation
- Community-driven partnership
- Inclusive collaboration
- Local communities: municipalities and non-profit organizations of SE Europe.
- International scholars, site, museum & collection managers, curators and conservators.
- High school, college and university students from over 60 countries.
- Connoisseurs of cultural heritage from around the globe.