Archaeological excavation and research at the Roman and Late Roman city of Stobi, Republic of North Macedonia and archaeological field school.
National Institution Stobi, Republic of North Macedonia
Balkan Heritage Foundation
Project started / Status:
2010 / Ongoing
History of Excavations: The first reported excavations in Stobi started during the World War I by German officers and the archaeologist F. Krischen. Between 1923 and 1940, the excavations were directed by Balduin Saria, R. Eger, Kj. Truhelka, V. Petkovic, J. Petrovic, and Dj. Mano-Zissi from the National Museum, Serbia. From 1955 to 1969, the Archaeological Museum of Skopje and the Agency for Protection of Monuments of Culture, North Macedonia were in charge for the further archaeological research. In the timeframe of 1970 until 1980, the excavations were directed by Dj. Mano-Zissi and J. Wiseman – the Museum of Veles, North Macedonia, University of Austin, Texas, and later Boston University – both of the USA. Some rescue excavations in the nineties (1992 – 1995) were conducted by the Agency for Protection of Monuments of Culture, North Macedonia. Since 2008, a large-scale excavation campaign has aimed to complete the excavation of all the buildings that were only partly unearthed and to uncover new areas of the site. The National Institution Stobi was formed as independent state institution in 2010 and since then has successfullyfinalized numerous of archaeological and conservation projects.
The archaeological site: Stobi, capital of the Roman Province Macedonia Secunda (in 6th century CE).
Periods: Roman period (1th – 4th century CE) and Late Roman (5th – 6th century CE).
Team & Partners:
Excavation Directors: Silvana Blazhevska, Phd in Classical Archaeology (2010-2016); Goce Pavlovski (2017); and Zlatko Kovancaliev (2018-present).
BHFS Field School Coordinator: Dr. Angela Pencheva, BHF Program Director.
Field School Supervisors: Goce Pavlovski (Archaeologist at NI Stobi); Zlatko Kovancaliev (Archaeologist at NI Stobi), Jovan Kovancaliev (Archaeologist at NI Stobi).
BHF contribution: The excavations took place at different locations within the territory of the ancient city of Stobi, including sectors of the area around the Theodosian palace (since 2014), several houses from the Late Antique settlement (2011-2013), eastern Necropolis and the area around the temple of Isis (2010). Involvement of more than 10 team members and visiting specialists and more than 185 volunteers – students; All excavated finds have been cleaned, documented and stored.
BHF project partners: National Institution Stobi (Republic of North Macedonia), Queen’s University, (Canada) and Institute of Field Research (USA).